Rajar results - Q2 2015 shows another strong performance for radio
Michael Williamson, head of AV Planning at Amplifi @ Carat, takes a look at the key points from the Rajar Q2 2015 radio listening figures
Kiss, Capital & digital only stations are the big winners in the Q3 Rajar figures.
- Total radio listening remains high with 90% (48.2m) of the UK listening for an average of 21.7 hours each week.
- Commercial radio has a 44.4% share.
- 39.9% of all listening is via digital platforms with 55% of the population tuning in digitally every week.
- 25% of adults listen via a mobile phone or tablet, up 13% Year on Year (YoY).
- This increases to 36% for 15-24 year olds.
- Digital listening in cars grew by 48% YoY.
- Kiss is the big commercial winner this quarter.
- The Kiss network is above 5 million weekly listeners for the 1st time.
- Kisstory is up 33% to 1.5m weekly listeners.
- Kiss Fresh is up 19% YoY.
- Kiss London is up 14% YoY to 2.1m weekly listeners (a close 2nd to Capital).
- It is also No.1 in London for market share.
- Capital reclaims top spot in London with 2.2m weekly listeners.
- All the top London stations performed well with Capital, Kiss, Magic & Heart all within 215,000 listeners.
- Capital also reclaimed the No.1 london breakfast show with 1.1m weekly listeners.
- Digital only stations continue to grow, in addition to the Kiss sister stations.
- Absolute 80s is up 29% YoY to 1.6m weekly listeners. Capital Xtra is up 13.5% to 951,000.
- This bodes well for the launch of the second digital multiplex in 2015 which is backed by Bauer & Talksport.