RAJAR RESULTS FOR RADIO
Tweet a fact from the RAJAR results with the hashtag #CaratRajarBlog for a chance to win a camping tickets to the Isle of Wight Festival (courtesy of Absolute and Bauer) or the perfect present for Father’s Day – Barry Manilow tickets (courtesy of Global Radio).
It was another very strong quarter for radio. Carat’s Flora Williams and Nadia Khashem round up the top line results from today’s RAJAR report:
- 89% of the UK population listen to radio each week
- On average a listener tunes into 21 hours of live radio per week
- The digital share of listening continues to grow, reaching 44.1% share (+11% YOY) and creeping closer to the milestone 50%
- Digital listening in the home has surpassed 50% for the first time with 51.5% of all radio listening in home being to a digital platform, ahead of listening on AM/FM (48.5%)
- Radio X’s figures - now covering a full year of the station - have been released showing a 40% increase in reach YOY to 1.2million with hours up 92%
- Chris Moyles’ show, which is only in its second RAJAR, boosts Radio X’s numbers with his segment now recording 776,000 listeners
- Heart remains the number 1 commercial national brand reaching 9m individuals (Capital are second, reaching 800,000 less)
- Capital widens the gap from Kiss by adding an additional 200,000 listeners since Q4 2014, and also overtakes BBC Radio 2
- Capital London continues to be the station of choice for breakfast listeners despite the departure of Lisa Snowden
- KISS and Absolute Radio achieve the #1 and #2 national commercial breakfast shows
- The slightly more niche commercial stations have been the real winners this quarter: Capital Xtra +42% YOY, KISSTORY +27% YOY, Jazz FM reaches 1m nationally for the first time and Absolute 80s has reached a personal record of 1.7m
- Next quarter’s RAJAR will see the first results for the 16 stations launched on the second digital multiplex. There are high hopes from the likes of Virgin and talkRADIO within this mix.
Keep an eye out for the full detailed analysis coming this afternoon.